Monday, December 30, 2013

Monday monday da da....da da da da....da da......da da da da....

Other than impending Doom 4 ( ref. Invader Zim .. Foodcortia Debacle ) that is Property  2014 process coming in in dribs and drabs. Oh.. and training too! Woo hoo.

I expect NEXT Monday to be insane. This Monday went quietly. Over saw some docs and getting a maintenance time ready. Nothing heavy to lift today. Tomorrow should be the same. 

I got some questions on file storage and Gopro settings over the past few days and I may have been a bit jumbled with my responses. Since that is probable I will go over it here.

On storage for Pictures, Videos, Music or what not personal files.... Go get you two same sized external hard drives. They are cheap coming in for 2 terabytes at from 100 to 130 dollars.

Okay... I said 2 tb because you normally wont have that much data. Also make sure you get USB 3.0 drives and you have 3.0 USB ports on your computer or it will take a while to transfer.  I have way over 2tb but thats my fault for my itchy finger on the camera shutter. If you have more files buy more dries. I have separated my files into RAW or NEF files, JPG files, RAW video files, Completed video files, and Music files. if you have less than 1 tb of all files then the 2tb drives will be good enough. 

Lets stick to two drives of 2tb size only. So connect up both new drives to your computer. make sure they show up in your system. Create a file system that you like. I have my files all set to DATE , TYPE or DEVICE, TITLE of main subject. Like this...

2013 12 30 d300 18 200 Picture of asphalt. So DATE/camera used/lens used/title   Videos I use 2013 12 30 GoPro 1 chip 1 dancing around in circles. Music is always labeled by Album / group year bit rate... as in... Swing Out Sister - kaleidoscope world (2001) 320. I am always keeping watch out to purchase higher bit rate music if I can.... because I can tell the difference.

So you should have both drives something like this..

Music

Videos
          Complete
                    date
          Raw
                date
Pictures
          JPG
                date
          RAW ( if you have raw )
                date

Its the easiest way I know. 

Once you have the two drives set up. Open the category you want to move your files to and copy them over 

Repeat for the second drive.

After you get both copies over verify them. Check files in folder, check the byte count, check the bit count if it shows. Any discrepancies between the original and the copied files means you missed something or something didn't get copied correctly. Go back and fix if necessary. Do this for all your files. 

After that is complete and you have verified both the copies correspond with the original files then you should delete the ones on your main drive. couple of reasons about this. 1. You free up space on your computers hard drive. 2. You will not lose these files if your computer gets hit by a virus. 3. you can cart one of the copies off to your office for safe keeping inn case of a fire or break in. 

You can encrypt your drives using TrueCrypt. its fast and very secure. Free also.. did I say that? Its on the fly encryption. if you want to be extra careful you can verify files in the copied drives to make super sure they are there correctly. I usually take  a sampling of everything to check. 

I have moved to different sized drives for the primary and backup units. For the one that stays at the house I use WD 3.5 externals and for the primary I use toshiba or WD or samsung 2.5 externals. Smaller means I can carry all my files in less space than a good novel. A primary and backup copy of everything is the only way to not lose anything. 

I mean you can go buy a raid system for upteen buncches of money and still lose something ...and you can't store safely ff site that system... If Raids were real cheap Id still have a primary at the house and a backup at work or visa versa.

I will usually go through monthly and move any changed or created files to the backups. Then re-verify.

Hope that helps you sort your files out somewhat. 

Oh.. dont forget to label the outside of your drives.

Ill drop these here.....

Firebird. Where is it?


Fish? Dragon? Seaweed? Where?


Lasso Motel. Before they tore down the motel itself.


In The Shade.


Bodacious Colors.


Sites of Vision... Okay... just regular old sites... old 2013 sites... so yesteryear...

First off....  Old poem / song... and its modifications. Pretty good. I have heard better but here ya go....


Never ever put a sd chip or micro card that you "find" in any computer you love.. or even  like a little bit... Ever!! EVER EVER!


EVER!

This is happening everywhere. I like the idea of giving houses ( ones that are built to code ) to artists and well just as in the land rush in the US... Give a person a house. He has to do some sort of upgrade to the exterior ( grass, trees, rocks, cacti whatever ) and keep it up. After three years it becomes his/her house. Homeless also can be set up this way. No mortgage!!!! Woah! Nice! But responsible. Three months or active destruction gets you pitched out.  I would commute an extra half hour for a free house! Heck Yeah! Maybe even an hour.


See...I would love a container house. Not the monstrosity you will see in the link but one or two 40 ft units color painted or camouflaged to fit in the area it is located. Totally secure, not a blight on nature or the area, compact, movable if necessary. I dont want to stack five or six and let it flap... Yeesh.  But rock on you containing building nuts...


I have already done up a design for a single container house. It rocks! I would leave the doors on the ends and just internally glass in those ends. lots of light and at night.. close it up tight. 

I have enough space next to my house to put one but then what do I do with the house? hahahhahahahaa...