Sunday, March 29, 2015

A Beautiful Day

Yes it was! There we no clouds in the sky so that made the light very stark but I can work with that. The balloons were there and they were colorful enough to make it all worth it. Add to that the people who seem to group around them and then the Pilots who are in their own way very colorful. Yeah. Nice!


I had a bunch of stuff I was going to show you today on the blog but I have had to fling that to the side and bring in what happened this morning at Unser and Westside in Rio Rancho new Mexico.

Something like 8 balloons showed up just at that location.... Two moved to another spot, one almost flew back. Fun. It was a target rich environment and I was running around trying to get every possible good shot I could. This started with tripodding to get the crest but it was too roiled to get a clear shot.. then there was the crew of ZK in the dusty glow. So many great shots and people and round and round and under and over...

I took about 961 or so shots. Many of those were duplicates as I was trying for a specific frame or a thing against something else that made something else look great. I will in the end post them all to my photo web site at... http://invisibleblack.zenfolio.com/ but not today.. too much to do still.

I posted 35 to facebook... and those were what I thought were the best. I will repost my real favorites and explain why then show you what else aught my eye while I was out.. and no.. its never just balloons.. Its also about people.. and what they are saying with their faces and actions... But then there is the desert... and its items....

I will comment on each as I post...

FantasyWave!
 Balloon Manufacturer is Fantasy Balloons out of Canada... I caught this wave as it was being squeezed and the crown drawn. Just turned out so nicely.

StraightUp.
 Right overhead shot. Hard as hell to get exact if the balloon is moving. I have to run/stumble to get it. Solid floor Fantasy with a different gore pattern. It is beautiful to look into with the deep blue being highlighted by the yellow equator band.

LittleFlowers.
 On the side of the dirt road this little purple flowers were trying to bloom.. Okay they were blooming but they will regret it as we will have one more snow or cold spell before spring launches completely.

CoverMe!
 Envelopes are made of strengthened fabric. They tear easily... Not real easily but a street sign will do it a treat! So when the envelope is being brought down close to one we cover it and also station someone over it just in case. We do that will cactus and other poky things.

Toggles!
 Balloon Works triangle balloon. The large rope goes from one corner to another then attaches to the toggle with three lines that go upward as six to attach the basket to the envelope. Love the closeups of equipment.

BlueWaters.
 But it was so pretty against the stark and burned tan/brown of the desert and brush. Always keeping an eye out for a neat thing.

TitledandNumbered
 Balloon Works balloons have this neat burner. What you are looking at are the propane lines coming up to the main burner ( black rubber covered handle ) which is squosed against that wooden handle to get a pretty flame. The red toggle is a whisper I believe.. a quieter and softer flame and the last line  (red on the end of the line ) is probably the pilot light. Springs attach it to the basket frame.

Good Grief!
 Which is this balloons name. Which that burner and toggle belong to. Balloon works envelopes have these nice chevron gores. Their designs are very exotic. She is at the time of this shot ground tracking to land.

Backlight.
 A friend of the family flying some passengers in his Lindstrand. Boldly going.... I liked it so stark and deep.

ZK Sandia.
Riding the ridgeline. Hard and multiple shots to get it just so. Also the sun was right on the other side which made it harder to keep the colors of the balloon from going dark and blowing out the sky.

I have one more .. hang on...

Carabiner. ( remember the toggle )
 Fantasy balloons, Cameron, Lindstrand balloons attach with carabiners. You can choose either metal cables or kevlar rope cables. I chose Kevlar rope cables as they do not conduct electricity. You dont usually have a choice. The leather booties are cool and stopps possible rubbing of the metal. ( see that red rope.. look below ).

RedLineKnottings.
inside the Fantasy envelope that red line goes up to a loop and pulley then down and attaches to the inside of the opposite side of the inner envelope as you see in the picture. The extra knotting is in case it needs to be adjusted or let out. Neat little snake.

Whew... I have edited many more shots and really I will post them.. but there are lots to go and I have to video camera files to look over and edit too....

My facebook banner and logo for the day are old balloon posters. I just edited them for my use. This day I hid the day number is plain sight. Now that I mentioned it you will probably be able to pick it out right away.

The hardest part was finding a font that fit it.


Things I wont do with in a balloon.

Have a fun fun evening.