Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Hay hay hay.. na na na.... Good.. BIOS!

Wow! That took ages to do! On the run to upgrade our systems at work so they are faster, leaner, and better at doing what they are supposed to do we are doing some PC upgrading.

Aside from that.. which I will get to more in a moment I was looking over a very detailed version of the Fiesta Official Map. Lots of great info and all packed in tightly. From the no lower than 75 feet over the main field and the circles of locked down airspace to the roads in and around. Pretty nifty.


Gotta love the abstract. Yes it really is part of the map. It would show target locations if I had not tweaked the massive heck out of it. I would put this on my wall. In a frame.. maybe with some little lights on it. I could stare at it and consider the lime.... Funny.

Back to the office. We picked up some SSD drives to swap out the clunky slow hard drives in our computers. My computer has had a personal problem which causes it to take about 45 minutes to boot to a usable screen. We thought it might have been a problem with my account on our server. It seems not.

Enclosure to put the SSD in to then connect to the PC. Nice.. simple and easy to use.


Frame to fit the SSD into so it would fit in the PC 3.5 HDD slot. Guess what.. too small.. I velcroed it in place until I can get a Dell blue hdd frame adapter. Yay.

SSD... only 256 but I save everything to our office systems so no problem there. I did keep the HDD as a backup space.. I will hang onto the data on it until I am sure the SSD is stable.

I saw this a lot today and it used to be a 40 minute ordeal of watching the circle go round and round until it felt like finishing shutting down or starting the load. Now.... 3 to five minutes from boot to screen. Nice!


It did take forever to get the hard drive cloned. The software with the Samsung SSD didn't not work no matter what the heck I did... defrag.. clean... error check... whatever.. nada... Our ITO came up with a free piece of cloning software from the web and that worked a treat! It took a lot longer to complete but when it did it was a matter of raising my desk up.. dropping the cpu holder, pulling the cables out and setting it on the desk to swap it out. I had to go into the BOIS and change the order of boot and remove the HDD from being a boot drive but hay.. 5 seconds work.

Like I said above.. it went from 45 minute boots to 3 to 5 minutes.. no more coffee breaks or staring at it and cursing.... Tomorrow I will restart it and reboot it a few times to see if its all good to go. That and a lot of budget stuff and I call it a pretty good day. Done! Supposedly if you say done when you finish a project or a part of one it increases your happiness. Im good. Its done.. and some other stuff will be done I hope by Friday. Yay the second time. Done done done.

Since I was all "up in that" today and I didn't get into anything last night other than a bunch of thinking there isn't much to show you... Sorry you had to listen to a massive amount of work news. I did play with a few things with the map.. I can post that below.

The GRID!
 Not Tron!! The official launch grid for Fiesta. Launches start from the bottom or the A rows and the middle of the field around M ( ride balloon ) rows then go up ( or North ) as the winds flow down ( or South ). If the winds switch they launch according to where the wind blows. We used to be at L8... forever.. now we are at K8/9 to get farther away from the ride balloons and close to the Pilot Briefing tower and farther away from the massive crowd that exist on the 1 column areas.

Zones of importance.
The main part of the map. Showing the rings around the main field and other important information the Pilots need to follow the Fiesta rules and FAA regulations. Targets are the red...well.. targets. Purple is stay out of unless you really really have to land. Its all very informative.

Worth putting up on your wall... I might. Probably....

My facebook banner for the day is part of the map and also part of the map is my logo....

So what day is it?

A closeup of the grid with blue and green lights...
Each grid zone has green lights on the corner markers. If they come against a road they are blue. Its one heck of a cool sight.. almost to equal Christmas lights twinkling on Christmas presents when I was five. Its a sight to see....

What a day.. and its getting closer to Fiesta... much to do....and again.. more to think about.

Happy Thinking to you!