Saturday, March 30, 2013

Post Flights..

I'm posting my flight.. hahahahahaha....

No really.... Woke up around 0530.... everything packed in the trailer and ready to go by 0600....


Stopped by Starbucks for a decaf grande latte with 7 splendas.. 


Decaf cause I have learned that jittery hands are not fun when you're trying to get precise control.
Or.. i know that when I do drink caf coffee I can't stop my hands from shaking. Interesting.


Add a little 2% milk to cool it off a bit and back in the truck and out to the Rainbow Field. Thinking that a lot of people said they were coming out to fly I expected to get there around 0640 and be the first one there... wrong!


Beat me... there were about 8 vehicles there and three balloons... dang!!


Still took the middle of the field... 


Rory and Bob hold the throat open so we can cold pack it. The right side is much warmer than the left side.. 


As fast as we got the balloon inflating there was still a couple that beat us into the air. Not bad having Pibals before launch.


Thats my Flytec instrument sensor. It tells me the temperature inside the top of the balloon. It has a little probe that feeds through a tiny hole and sits against the inside fabric. RF send to the instrument package in the basket. Strapping this correctly helps it not melt. The black load tape strap feeds over and down under then back up and over to keep it in place.


From top down. Checking that the baffle is still attached.. hahahahaa


THERES A HOLE IN MY BALLOON!!!
just kidding.. my turning vents.. Verifying that the lines are not tangled or hooked up. Lookin good! ( Green Line is the clockwise turning line )


Crown check. Positioning lines lookin good. Tops velcroed in place.



Baffle... remember I said that Lindstrand always goes beyond the expected.. My baffle is color coded to my balloon... normal baffles in Lindstrand racers is white... I asked if Yellow was an option.. guess what... I got a yellow baffle. Now you're asking me .. what's a baffle... Not telling!  No really, it is to help help the hot air up in the top of the balloon..


One last check down to the throat. Look at the shadows on the right.. nice.


One side of my burner set.. nice big on/off pilot switches.. Instruments are out of their pouch so I can set them and turn on the receive section to get the envelope temperature  I had Aerco build my pouch with a solid plastic face. Harder to flip switches but it keeps the instruments looking like new. The thick rope off to the right is my tie down. Its very thick.. Its very strong. Oh and the blue is a packers padded blanket to protect the leather bolster and my knees from the dirt and rocks.

Launched.. did three launches and landings.. then Bob jumped in. We took off and did some controlled maneuvers to make sure I could still do them. Up high... then drop down to a spot over a road I had picked to set on... Ground tracking.... Other balloon avoidance  Chase the balloon.. keeping at the same level and position from the other balloon.. Power line avoidance  Landed on the road I chose between two other balloons. Swapped out passengers and launched again. Landed on another road. Launched once more. I had two video cameras on but one decided to not recode a darn thing... Yay Go Pro!  I think it was the battery. I will be testing


Landed... walked back to the road... laid it down smoothly.
Then directed the retrieval vehicle next to the balloon to prepare to pack up.


Small crew member or "Ballast" lol.


Just slowly venting all the hot air out the top. Laying right down the road. Boy was it dusty again today.


Parked and ready to put away.

There are no pictures in flight as I was paying attention to how the system felt after such a long time not flying. she flew beautifully. Flying solo to get current was tough. She didnt want to come down and the temp was only 130 degrees. Sitting on the ground waiting for Bob I was at 120 degrees and it was wanting to walk away.

Rory did get some shots of me in the air.. Just a few as he was chasing.


Super excellent day!

Links

Music to listen to..

Beirut


Tina Dico


Daft Punk Tron Legacy


Ottmar Liebert