Sunday, February 26, 2017

A bit of this and that.

A week of waiting, watching, wondering and wandering....oh and a sore back and sore fingers.


Just to get this off my chest right here and right now... you know who this affects and you still post it!


Seven darned days away........ seven...... Do I even know where all the docs are? Do I have a better picture for trading cards... if Fiesta is getting us all trading cards again? Hell, I have to work on cards for the balloons too..... and that has layers of details also.... Another list in the making I can see now.

Back to front today. 

I spend the last two days ( I am including this evening as well ) breaking down my office shelving units. They were many many years old, book shelves from Walmart that had been jury rigged to fit
( hah ) Xboxes, cables connectors hard drives, computers and stuff. It looked terrible. The Xboxes hung over the front edge, all the cables were exposed and ugly and as is normal in New Mexico, dust coated everything.

Enter IKEA.... Damn but they are not in New Mexico. That didn't stop me from surfing their website and wishing to be a bit closer and humming and harring over living room, office and storage containers that could be shang hai'ed into working for me. Took a while but I settled on these 25in by 25 in by 15 or so living room cabinets. I needed at least three.One to settle the Xboxes in ( three Xboxes due to our yearly multi player gaming meets during Fiesta ) and another for the television box, and cameras and surface docks ( spacial error here ) and the last for all my hard drives, router ( moved to the second cabinet ) cable modem and video cam system and computer...oh and hard drive switch bank.

It all fit and pretty much where I wanted it to go except I had to move the router as it is bigger ( spacial anomaly ) than the width of the cabinets. The old shelves were 26 inches wide and overall these are around 23 usable inches wide. I did have to break out the zip tool and cut two 2 in by 12 in ports in the back of each to feed cables and connectors and also to vent air. It worked.

The IKEA kit was nifty. It took a while to get here but everything came without any damage and with all parts ( make sure you check every box completely ). Even the 70 in black glass top made it.

The choices in colors and types of doors and styles was expansive.. Besta is the name of the furniture. Instructions looked a little dodgy at first but it assembled so easily that no one should ever have a problem assembling anything from them. I did it all by myself with two screwdrivers. Craftsmanship was good and even the doors cool soft close and tap open is a nifty surprise.

Okay.. I went with a glossy black cabinet. Its black wood laminate with smoked black glass doors. You can see through them and I can get my remotes to work through them. The have actuators that pop the door open and also keep the doors open about two inches for air flow while the equipment is up and running. They even have legs to raise it up off the floor. I have a few things yet to do but its pretty much all done.

One thing... TOO MANY DAMN CABLES!.

 Old bookshelves adapted for stuff. Why do Comcast boxes have to be so damn large? The other things there are parts to the Pioneer Xbox surround sound system. So old but so very clear and loud.

IKEA Besta furniture. Two doors partial open for airflow. Not unlike our military and its love for lights.. I've been indoctrinated that way...I can see the lights for all the equipment through the doors without it being a distraction. Glass shelves with cool anti slide seats ( very cool ) 

You can partially see the site supervisor in the last picture. She laid in a chair snoring while I worked my butt off..... 


Cables, cables and more cables...


Cleaning up soon as my Granddaughter is due in and she is just walking with help of her walkabout toy. Important that.

There is still a bunch of stuff to do. Another sort through the bin full of cables and things but that can wait.

The other accomplishments for the weekend was going through two bins of cables, connectors, adapters and old equipment and chucking it in the back of the truck along with boxes and junk no one has touched in a year... then going to the back patio and pulling the two cut up envelopes that were bagged there and loading them into another truck as well as a bunch of things that needed to be thrown away ages ago. All of it was taken to the local dump center and flung into the bins for shredding and processing. The two old cut up envelopes were the hardest. I wanted to keep the bags as they are in good shape so getting all that awful stinky fabric out.... just ugh!

But.. now the patio is cleared of junk. Two computer tables and the old shelves are out there for this weeks processing. Two old bikes to be donated also sit out there as well. 

I feel very good about that work. Very sore but good sore.

Looking forward to the work week.. things to do there that should be interesting. 

I had a great conversation on getting good shots of interior spaces that are focused throughout without distortion. My brain kept going right to a tilt shift lens to do this because I so want one
 ( at 3,000 dollars a pop ) that I couldn't let go of it. LOL. Tilt shift lenses allow for plane shifts to correct distortion. They are very specialized and I would never get enough use out of it to be worth the outlay... but that was where my brain was. I did remember that DXO software will fix distortion due to wide angle shots and it does a very good job but will crop edges which barrel out. The focus part was just a blank for me until a few days later when I remembered that if you set your camera for Aperture priority you can increase the focal space of your shot.. which I tested and it worked well in my little office. I know it would work in the open but elsewhere it would have to be tested.

Always wonderful to chatter about like interests. Plus I got reminded to look into a self owned web site and stick this all there along with a bunch of other stuff. Oh the time I need!!!!

Which I will waste playing Fallout 4 if I am let go.... hahahaha.. really need to deal with that soon... The website not Fallout 4. 

Oh.. Almost forgot!! 

I asked our local balloon repair and all around fantastic design company AERCO to make a larger pouch and instrument pouch for my new envelope In Czech. The pouch needs to be large enough to fit the flight manual, logs and docs required to fly as well as have a little space for extra stuff and can be attached inside Patturns Highperactives basket ( since I have one basket ) while in flight.. and I needed a new pouch for my 6040 flytec instruments as the pouch for the 3040s was a bit big and they slipped about and I couldn't see the screen well... Here is what happened from all our chattering on sizes and configurations.... They do good "work".


6040s tucked in with the button section open but the screen protected. loop hole to slide the instrument strap into and to the uprights.

I have come up with a few ideas that Aerco has run with. All of them pretty awesome. I have the ideas and they have ways to make it better and they also have Carol who is a fantastic sewing magician. 

A lot of this comes to making it easier to deal with things that are very important to flying. Be it an experimental plate made into a upright cover which is soft and fold-able and wont hurt people but is clear and apparent to passengers and FAA inspectors alike to these pouch ideas to keep everything undamaged and available. More ideas in this head.....somewhere.

Last thing.... The pin designing is going quite well. My third pin is being processed right now. The fourth is already done and waiting and friends pins are waiting final adjustments from their respective owners. I need a better picture for one and I have yet to find it. More requests are coming in and I have to get ready to deal with that when it happens..... good things.

I still have a tendency to complain but its all good....