Sunday, November 26, 2017

Week 3 with the Sony RX10V4 and Family times.

Its Sunday after Thanksgiving. I give thanks for my Granddaughter and my family and friends.


Emily loves lights and things that display things. If she sees a television that isn't on she says.. "uh oh!" because she thinks they all should be on all the time. From the moment she came into the world till now she has had a camera lens nearby and a tablet or cell phone to play with. She loves music and brightly animated presentations.. be that the A,B,Cs to rhymes and other cartoons out there. She detests commercials... She will loudly vocalize her unhappiness with the interruptions. I am not sad to say she has her own 4g enabled iPad ( I gave her ) and can make face-time calls to me whenever she wants. I want her to be able to talk to me whenever she wants. That she likes to try and call me while I am indisposed .... well... she does call back. Which is nice.

Since her parents moved to California it has been very hard on us not to have her every Sunday.. which we have done ...again since she was born... so face-time is our only avenue to watch her grow. She is scary smart and picks up ideas and processes after one look. That she was carrying around my FAR/AIM flight manual is nothing to be worried about..even thought it weighs about a 4th of what she weighs.. she carry's it about and sits with it in her lap and flips through the pages... She has a lot of words down.. Book being one and socks another. Please and thank you and some sign language as well.

Her second birthday is coming up and I expect we will go out to California somewhere around it to celebrate her second year. Hopefully we will get to get out of the house and go have fun with her and see some sights. I really would like to see the Golden Gate Bridge up close and also the Winchester house.

Emily loves carousels and has no problem with all the spinning.

A large multicolored projector she figured out in a few seconds. Thumb on the switch.

All shots were with the Sony RX10V4. It has the same problem most DSLRs have with low light... noise.

So on week three with this camera I have found that I need to learn more where specific settings are and how they interact with other settings.

Findings.. Not sure I like that I can only shoot some types of shots in JPG only and that it will only save it a specific type of file for a specific shot. Sounds strange but it is easy to understand in reality.

I have run up against the buffering problem a lot and have missed some video because of it. You cant shoot video while it is buffering picture shots. I think you can shoot video and while you are doing that take separate shots but I didn't play with that much.

Since my Granddaughter was only here for a few days I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could so a lot of things I wanted to do got shoved aside. My priority is Granddaughter first.. everything else comes second.

So playing with the camera was a far second. She holds her hands up to be picked up and the camera goes away.

Though I did get some good shots of the flying antics on Fridays ( Eric has a term here but I forget ) after Thanksgiving evening flight.. and those are below.... Ill explain on each shot...

A pretty gusty afternoon but once off the ground it was very nice. about 200mm.

The speed of the zoom when photographing and that of video are two different things. Picture.. fast.. video smoothly slow.

What makes this camera rock. 600mm shaprness.

Colors and corner falloff are so minimal I don't even look for it anymore. Oh when I use the D7100 its gonna suck..

Crisp sharp colors and fast shutter catch Holly walking between two envelopes...both envelopes are flapping as they inflate but its a tight shot.

Ted is off and has flags...

I have no clue what they are about but it was fun to see if the camera could zoom in and focus quickly and get the shot... it did.. silly easy.

Eric is off in his big basket. It has a door. No leaping over the side for this guy. Nice and clean. Keith in the background heading East South East.

Matt headed out first... when it looked iffy. Went South then headed North across the Sandia's at a distance. This shot at 600mm was stunning. So easy to zoom in and the vibration control was wonderful. No worries. Blast off 12 shots. I can enlarge this and there isn't any fuzziness at the edges in the original.

Mo heads up and out. Since flying would be a secondary to the Emmers I just took pics until she wanted me to hold her. So.. Mo flew.. hahaha. He flew three days in a row... why.. because he can.

Trenton rides upwards and Northwards. This Fantasy balloon is very bright against the blue sky. Easy to pick out as its the only one in the area those colors. Great envelope and he loves it I believe.

A viva envelope cuts low across the bottom of the Sandia mountain range. Again.. 600mm and so light. A regular 600mm lens would cost around 12,000 dollars and weigh as much as a small child.. Not happening. I chose correctly with this camera. Okay.. Bennie told me about it but I did the research. Worth every penny to buy it. every penny.

Morghan comes out of the South to fly overhead and chase Trenton down.

Trenton lands amid all his family and friends.... good spot to set it down too.

Mo drops in beside him. We ran off to get some food for the baby and didn't get shots of the far side of these two. It looked like a wonderful glow shot from the shots I have seen from other people.

Last thoughts for now on the RX10V4. Focus. So many options you can lose yourself. I found myself getting mad because I had it set for movement and needed single center and got locked on the wrong thing. My fault but I was trying to shoot quickly and without much thought. The other thought of these last thoughts.. the battery is holding up much better than expected. I was under the impression it would last about 1400 shots or so from the manual. Its lasting a lot more.

So since I hate Youtube reviews of this camera except for the Three Blind Men and an Elephant versions due to the long winded full of BS descriptions.. okay there may be one other that is long winded but does show settings clearly... Ill put this simply.

600mm, crisp focus and crisp shots, no corner fall off, fast zoom, lightweight... worth every penny.

Oh one more thing I forgot......

 Illustration mode is fun...

Since we are past Thanksgiving.. Ill say Merry Christmas to you all!

Next weekend is the Red Rock Rally in Gallup New Mexico. An awesome venue for photographers.