Sunday, April 28, 2019

Down weekend! 159 days to go.

Dropped off the balloons early Friday to get that done as I can't get to the shop during the regular week unless I take leave to do so. So no flying this weekend, though I had not planned to. I am hoping they will have them done quickly during the week and I can pick them up on Friday as I get off early enough that day to get to the shop before they close for the day.


 I have been doing daily Facebook banner count downs until the next Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. its a small rally in a distant corner of the country.. you probably never heard of it.

But I digress.

So I've been going on since the start of registration. I hide the number of days left in the picture somewhere. Depending on how I feel.. Or I dont.. depending on how I feel. So far a lot of friends and family get a kick out of the hunt.

Then I added the days until Registration closes. It closes on the 30th of April through the 30th on my count down would be one day before.. just in case... and I screwed up the count somewhere.. so there will be two day 00.

Some people wait till the last minute to Register as I used to try to be the first. Such a game.

So I try to use shots from past fiestas in it but I will also go off the rails at times... here are some of them...


A perfect sun glow shot of the Fiesta balloon.

River run and wording... because I thought it was funny at the time.

When I miss a day you get creative.. or not...

An excellent shot of the POW MIA balloon slipping upwards beside me.

Not too many places to hide numbers so throw a lot of them in there.

Overflight of the cereal factory and there were a bunch of people on the roof and catwalks.. why not tag it as I go by.

An "over the edge" shot. Always impressive to cruise across the field at altitude.. that would be 500 feet up.

And I "borrowed" the AIBF shot to add Highperactive directly in front of the camera.. well she should have been there anyways!!!

Always a lot of fun messing around with found pictures.

Its been a very quiet weekend and I have sat back almost the whole time relaxing. After the last two weekends, it was needed. Unfortunately, that didn't mean I got to sleep in or drink barrels of coffee and sleep was bad and the coffee was giving my stomach fits.

Go figure.

I did, while surfing through the last five years of Fiesta shots see that I have not posted many of the groups at all. So many I have not even touched. Mostly because after fiesta I am about done and tired of doing things.. then its the holidays and other things get in the way.... so I NEED to go back through them all.

Lots of good things.

A select few that have not really seen the light of day much except perhaps on facebook.

Flying off the field during a competition day means get up and get out fast. They need to set the targets down and they won't wait.. I had just taken off!!!

Congested flying over the Rio Grande is a norm. Rule is the lower balloon has the right of way. No, you should not push your way down unless you don't force the lower balloon down or to have to maneuver to save itself. It's not that important. A slight brush of fabric to fabric happens all the time.. even bumps fabric to fabric .. that's normal.

Overflying the field you have to be 500 feet up and moving off. This was my box run North high after going South low. The normal size of this shot is pretty cool.

Off to the East and watching the remaining balloons launch... a great ring side seat.

Before I can launch I usually go take pictures of other balloons.. This was my favorite of the day.. Rabbits overhead.

A very ( not normally ) special shape. If you go up or down very fast in a standard shape balloon it will get funny on you. This is very funny.... not.

Splash and dash into the Rio Grande.. or a local pond.. or jacuzzi... just kidding.. If you hit hard enough you can sink your basket a good foot and pick up lots of water. We only went in a bit but boy did the water rush in and we slipped in too. It all depends on where on the river and what the winds are doing.

Hopefully, you are wearing waterproof shoes or boots. If you are lucky enough to get a ride on a river run day then count your blessings. It's a tough thing and the weather has to be just right. Enjoy the soggy socks.

Kayakers landing after we lifted off the river. loads of fun to stop and chat on a sand bar in the middle of the river. Maybe this year.

Lots of fun.. and hopefully this year will be as much fun.

I am looking forward to it with only 159 days to go..

I need to get a step kit for the truck.
Probably new front tires.
New windshield.
lots of ice,
Lots of soda.
Lots of food.


What else...

Only 159 days!!!