Sunday, November 18, 2018

Ballooning etiquette and the rules.

Down weekend for me. I was hoping to go out and shoot some of the flights on Sunday but the winds were gusting at about 60 or 70 feet and that makes you pause. Sitting on the ground and watching a ride balloon descend into it and sweep South quickly just showed us that it was there...and that I didn't want to be there...they landed around 10 mph.. kinda fast.


It was completely flyable if you wanted to play with that wind level. Since we live in New Mexico and there will always be next weekend or the afternoon.. so everyone in the area sat on the ground or went to breakfast.

What rules do we have.. written and unwritten?

My favorites are.

Get to the launch field early or don't block people who have picked a launch spot already.

Do not ever bump fabric to fabric unless the Pilot in the other balloon know you are going to or its impossible to not bump..especially if you are at low levels.

There are more.. do you have one or two.. or more?

Since it was a quiet no fly weekend for me... I took a few shots with my phone cam to fill the void.


An old instrument panel in a Balloon Works balloon triangle basket. A very pretty basket too.

Three corners.. three tanks...one central burner.

Even has a glove compartment...

Amazing wicker work on this.

Me personally... cant deal with the low sides.. freaks me out a lot.

My Sons balloon bottom has Thunder and Colt tanks and burners. The fuel lines go into the tank vertically. His basket is a Lindstrand and its very nice. a little wider than mine but that few extra inches count for passenger comfort. my basket.. with three people... well you gotta love the people you are with.

His burners are classy and smooth. Nice blue whisper toggles with above squeezer mains. He even has an adjustable burner frame so if you are a little shorter you can simply adjust it on the fly down.

The stinker went off and flew this afternoon.... ohhhh.... yeah... because he could!



There is a plan to fly Thanksgiving morning. Friends bought their old balloon back... so they are flying it for the first time in a long while. I am going out with the cameras to record the event.. maybe try and sneak a video camera on it too...

Then the day after Thanksgiving they are going to do the annual after turkey day afternoon flight... I will go out but I dont care for afternoon flights... They launch is always brisk and its a dice roll for the landing... Meh.. I'm a fair weather flyer ... I wanna have fun.. not stress the flight. I can if I have to... I choose not to... Again.. Its New Mexico.. there is always next weekend!

It looks like the next time I will fly is at the Gallup Red Rock Rally on the 30th of November and December 1st and 2nd. High hopes for good weather. Its an awesome and super fun rally.

Other than those exciting balloon things I have been moving picture files. I was into the last 500 gig of an 8 TB drive so I had to make room. I pulled two old 4 TB drives out and wiped them then moved all my photographs from 2000 to 2014 to those drives ( one primary & one backup ). Took ages but its done now. Now I have almost 4 TB back open for future shots.

I've also been hunting more music down. There are a lot of remasters for Jethro Tull and Tangerine Dream and a bunch of other favorite artists...

Then on Youtube there are some songs I've found I want but hunting those down is harder. So much fun...

Now hunting a good price for an Xbox one X. Not to be mistaken by its slower and more dumbed down Xbox one S cousin. Still good but less powerful processor and no 4K. if that means things to you.

What else to do... I have a scratch in my clean photo ball thingy. How that happened I dont know. I also burned my finger again with the sun passing through it. Sheesh!

I dont think it will be noticeable but if it is I can get another for around 20 bucks on Amazon. The scratch not the burn.

I had a nice conversion about using a ball in photographs this morning. It was in my pocket surprisingly.. My brain ran like this. Using a ball to enhance a shot is good as long as its not the ball as the center of attention. If it causes an effect that is the attention I am all for it. Does that make sense?

Okay.. I have to do lots of research and finding of things that do not want to be found.. plus.. some type of food item for dinner.


Enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving all in the States... All those not in the States.. make a Thanksgiving up for yourself! We dont care if you enjoy any American holiday... All the more fun!!!!!