Sunday, June 10, 2018

Histories, Memories, Flights of Fancy

Back from four days of packing and sorting and moving and removing and repacking and moving.

No really.


My Father needed to live closer to my Moms full care residence so he up and sold his house and got an apartment. Boom! Like that. Super fast. So off me and my brother went Northward to assist. My sister came out from Utah and my little sister is already there processing everything that needed to be processed... this included switching the internet, which happened with alacrity right at 0600 the first day. Not a lot of fun. Understand that my Dad lived in a beautiful house in a wonderful neighborhood with fantastic people all around but absolutely the worse internet or wifi connections on the planet. I believe that the moon has better access to the internet.

Not that we had time to hang our surfing the web but it would have helped when we were all cramped up and sore laying on  the floor in the basement in the cool to relax us after all the above packing moving packing etc. It was in the 90s with bad humidity and I'm from the desert with no humidity!

We moved a 5 bedroom house into a two bedroom apartment. This meant that Dad had to get rid of a scary amount of stuff.  It happened and us kids ended up being given so very much... and since our Dad and Mom have already given us so much throughout our lives this was just the cream of the ice cream.

What finished up today was Dad is moved in to his new place and will be back cleaning the old house because he is a super cleaning master and refuses to hand over the keys unless its super clean.... My sister will remove all the items we could not take home ourselves or give to friends... Mostly bed frames/ headboards and insanely heavy tabletops. Misc stuff that will go to goodwill or charities or the trash if no one wants it.

We were gifted brass rubbings that my parents did in the 1970s and which you cant do any more.  We got to choose... and this is funny because here we all are in our 50s and were sitting or standing around the finished basement and looking at all the framed brasses and going.. okay... that one.. okay.. that one... LOLOL... it was quite funny and a serious bit of lightness for us all.

Along with the brasses were other items that my Mom will never use again or things that just had to go... Ill show a few below..... pretty much everything is sentimental... no value except to me because its family connection....

After we finished moving my Dad we had to come back to the house and pack trailers. I didn't bring mine up because I thought I would only have a few brasses for myself and my brother.... boy was I terribly terribly wrong...LOLOL We had to rent them.... Ours was packed so tight we didn't need straps for anything.

Because it helped my Dad out I took everything I could to remove it from his worry. No stuff no worry. My little sis will clear out the remaining stuff using my nephew and friends or I will go back up and finish the job myself.

Home now. All unpacked and looking for location for brasses... and one special item.....

My Great-Great Grandfather painted this watercolor of guinea pigs a very long time ago. its been passed down for a long while.. and my mother, quite a while back said I could have it when she passed as it meant to much to me.  Its in my home. It will be on my wall as soon as I fix the hanging chain. Massive personal value to me it chokes me up.


So how far back do we have items that needed to be tossed... a very long time ago... how bout a mouse cleaning kit!!! They sold these!! People bought these!! hahahahahaha.... oops... we did.

This was wonderful.. I love steam engines and here was a DVD of steam engines... wonderful!!!

Not so wonderful......

Ah well... its worth the chuckle.. and yes.. I did pack and bring it with me...

There ware many types of brasses.... There are very intricate and very basic brasses.... you do know what a brass rubbing is right???  Ah.. well... Just like you rub a penny under a sheet of paper with a pencil to copy the image you do the same here but with brasses that are inlaid in the floors of churches in England ( and elsewhere ) and you use special paper and special crayons to lift the image off the brass. It takes hours and hours to do these correctly. My parents would take us four kids hither and yon and while they labored at this art we would run through the forests and fields and or play cards in the back of our gold Chevy station wagon.

Some of them are scary large.... this brass is 91 inches high. We think we figured out where to put it..


There is another I got because I asked and my parents were super nice to me about it and its a table brass. I love it too. We believe we have figured out where they all are going to hang in the house. We may have some trading to do between me and my brother because I think we have a haunted one.

There was a tub.. Big sweater type tub full of unframed brasses we have to sort through. I will probably have to take pictures of each section...because none are labeled.. and then my Bro will try to identify where they are from. Way fun loads of work.

Two more items to show you out off a trailer full...  My mothers watercolor easel. Infinite load of feelings for this.

And what we believe to be a knitted lamb my Grandmother made... Which now sits on my dresser.. yes at 50 some odd years old... it will sit there...




So many other little things that bring back memories...

So even though I feel like I've been run over and punched with huge boxing gloves we got what we needed doing done.  Nothing else matters. Dad and Mom are close and that is that.

Hope you and yours are as happy and family oriented this day.

Oh and I got bit by four mosquito's! Damn them!!!